Loralee May

Thoughts on creatively re-designing your life.



Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snowdays and Second Chances








Today, as I wandered into the aftermath of the first Nor'Easter of 2011 and the icy cold wind took my breath away, I listened to the snow crunching under my boots and laughed as I thought of all my mature, "adult" friends who were posting cheers all over Facebook for the snowfall. We may be the "aging Baby Boomers" but we are not so old that the words "snow day" can't still get our heart pounding and blood racing!


I was laughing because I was thinking of how in a few weeks, instead of cheering and marveling, we will all be commiserating over the exact same event. But today, today it was new. Today it was the first one. Today, we woke up in an enchanted land where everything looked different. Today, I was filled with memories of childhood growing up in New England snowstorms, sledding, and building snowmen and warming up with hot chocolate.


And so today, as I walked through the almost reverential hush that only a snowstorm can bring, I whispered a prayer of thanks for a God whose "mercies are new every morning." Today, I embraced this first snowstorm and let it remind me that God's grace and mercies cover my ugliest mistakes and bring a blanket of beauty that is "whiter than snow."











2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this very much, Loralee. Made me think of my childhood in NY/PA and Christmas visits with my Mom's family in Ontario . . . such fun memories in the snow, snowmobiling, skating on the lakes, and riding down the hills in the toboggans . . . how did we stand the cold for so long? Lovely days, they were, lovely days. Deb :D

    ReplyDelete